Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Importance of Research

On my lunch hour, I decided I'd find a cluster of caches. This way I could park, and walk to 3 or 4 nearby caches. Unfortunately, I just found a cluster and my GPS and went with it. This cluster said it was about 7 miles away. Kinda far, but I could do it on my lunch hour. I followed my GPS compass and parked near an area that looked like a trail head. I thought, "OK, this must be the trail head I must follow." The trail looked pretty steep, but since my pocket query was set at 3/3 and below, I knew it should be relatively easy for a person to get. I started hoofing it up the trail. The stupid trail was between 20 and 30 degree incline! I walked a bit, breathing harder than I have in a long time. I'm in no shape for this! Geocaching shouldn't cause your lungs to bleed! I stopped and looked around. A little deductive reasoning between gasps of air, I decided it was probably on TOP of the Rimrocks instead of below. And I'd bet money you could just park on top and a easy walk later, you'd be there. So the moral of the story? Do your research BEFORE you decide to go caching. Look at maps and areal photos. I bet there's a great place to park. I bet it's easy to get to.

So no luck on my caching today. Tomorrow, I'm gunna do some research. Stupid trail.

No comments: