Monday, November 13, 2006

Find: Carts Go Here

Carts Go Here (GCXQ6N)
N 45° 45.250 W 108° 34.417
Difficulty: 1/1
Found 11/13/06 @ 17:40

This is my first find. I have never heard of Geocaching until yesterday. I looked it up and thought it sounded really cool....in that nerd kind of way.

Since I don't own a GPS, I used to find a cache that I think I could find using basic landmarks from the Ariel view that Google Earth provided. It was pretty easy. From the Google photo, I knew it was in the Costco Parking lot. Given the title, I figured it was where shopping carts were returned. Next to the shopping cart return was a lamp post. The base of the lamp post was loose. I lifted that and found the cache. It was a small plastic container with a folded up piece of paper with a pencil. It had about 28 names on the log, but the website said it had 32 visits. I wrote my www.geocaching.com user name in it along with the date and military time. I replaced it as quickly as I found it.

I think it's time for me to find a GPS unit. I think this is something that I could get into. A great excuse to get some exercise.

No comments: